Monday, August 27, 2012
35 Weeks - What Doesn't Kill Us, Only Makes Us Stronger
Today I hit my 35 week mark. Yay!
The last month has been very hectic, and interesting. So let me fill you in...
It's been one thing after another. At 32 weeks 1 day, I was at work and I kept feeling like I was leaking something. I would go to the bathroom and sure enough my panty liner was soaked. So I thought maybe I peed a little (hey, it can happen when you have a baby using you organs as a tramp). So I changed my liner and went back to my desk. Twenty minutes later I felt soaked again, so I went back and checked and sure enough another one was soaked. I changed it again and just tried to focus on something else. I did this two more times before I became concerned. I called my OB, and told them what had happened. They asked me to go to labor and delivery right away. So I left work and heading to the hospital. When I got there they checked me with a swab that turns blue if it is positive for amniotic fluid. It was blue... yikes. They ordered a ferning test which they use to confirm and called an ultrasound tech to my room. At this point I knew something wasn't right so I called Craig and told him he might want to leave work too. He came right away, he was very worried. The ferning test came out positive, and the ultrasound test showed a lower amount of amniotic fluid. My OB came in and told us that I had a small rupture, and since I was still too early for a safe delivery they would need to transfer me to a hospital with a level 4 nicu. They gave me a steroid shot, and hooked me up to antibiotics, and put me in an ambulance to take me to St. Marks. They wouldn't let anyone come with me in the ambulance, so Craig was really scared and worried. When I got to St. Marks they put me right into a labor and delivery room to monitor me. A neo natal specialist (who I have been seeing my whole pregnancy because of my pre existing high blood pressure) came in to talk to me and explain what will happen with Nolan if he delivers in the next few days, and that they needed to try and keep him in there until at least 34 weeks. We waited out the night, and thankfully, there was no more leaking, just a little blood spotting here and there. The next morning they brought in a specialist for ultrasounds to see if they could find the leak. Thank God the rupture they found was very small. They said that with some antibiotics it would heal itself. They released me to go home and rest later that afternoon. My doctor now has me on modified bed rest, so I can only work 4 hours a day.
Our next adventure happened last week at my 34 week mark. I started having horrible horrible back and stomach pains. No matter what I did, they got worse. I called my OB and they told me to go to labor and delivery so they could check me out and make sure I wasn't going into pre term labor. I couldn't sit still I was hurting so bad, and I couldn't stop throwing up. They hooked me up to an IV with fluids, and stuff to make me stop throwing up. They were watching for contractions, which I was having, but not hard enough to cause me to have the pain I was having. So they brought in an ultrasound tech too see if we could find the problem while they were waiting on blood work. They checked the baby and the placenta first, which were both fine. So they started looking around. The tech then saw that my gallbladder was inflamed, and full of sludge. Blood work confirmed it was all my gallbladder. They called the general surgeon to come see me, and got me some pain medication. After they got me checked out they explained that at this stage in my pregnancy, they could not take the gallbladder out without delivery the baby, and that if they could avoid delivering him they would do that. We decided we would manage my pain until we could get Nolan out safely without needed a ton of medical care. So they managed my pain for two nights in the hospital. I am now home with medication to take to keep the edge off. We have scheduled me to be induced on September 9th, which will put me at 37 weeks.So I juts have to tough it out for two weeks. I can do this.
This pregnancy has been truly interesting. It will be so worth it when our son is here. I can't wait to hold him and love him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Its so scary when you have complications like that. I did with ry but not this time. Im so glad everything is working ok and have it managed. the most important is that you and him are healthy so take it easy girl!! Yay, little nolan will be here soon!
ReplyDelete